Health and Physical Education
The following outlines what students will experience during their two years at Ponsonby Intermediate:
- 4 x 15 minute Kori sessions in the morning – Kori means to move and play, it is a focused fitness and activity time done during form time
- 1 x PE lesson for 45 minutes each week in term 1, 2 , and 3. 2 x PE lessons for 45 minutes in term 4.
- 1 x Health Education lesson delivered through a health specialist teacher each week.
- 1 x Hauora lesson 30 – 45 minutes delivered by the form teachers each week. This lesson focuses on student well being and is a holistic approach to a student’s well being.
- EOTC Every Wednesday for 10 weeks at the beginning of the year. Students participate in a range of activities outside the classroom such as: Auckland Zoo, MOTAT, Ice skating, Maritime museum, Awataha Marae and many more.
- Camp – Week 1 of Term 4 – 4 days, 3 nights. This focuses on building interpersonal skills in a unique setting. Students are encouraged to participate in all activities that help build confidence and resilience.
Health and Physical Education Topics
- Energy drinks
- Synthetic drugs
- Central Nervous System
- Self esteem
- School bullying procedures
Games Sense focus on the following sports:
- Fitness Testing
- Sports Studies
- Touch Rugby
- European Handball