Announcement : 

Term 2 Open Mornings: Tuesday 17 May, Thursday 9 June, Tuesday 14 June, Wednesday 15 June.

Learning Languages

Big Question:
How can Learning Languages enrich our lives?

Through learning languages students widen opportunities to build relationships with others.

During learning languages students will be exposed to two languages throughout the year.  75% of the programmes is focused on Te Reo (Māori language) me Tīkanga Māori (Māori culture) while the remaining 25% of the programme alternates each year between Spanish and Japanese.

Year 7
Students will

  • gain a greater understanding about similarities and difference between Māori and other Pacific Island cultures.
  • develop a basic understanding of tīkanga (culture) me kawa (protocol).
  • develop some confidence in speaking and using Te Reo Māori as part of their everyday language.
  • develop a basic understanding of how the Māori language is structure and used.

Year 8
Students will

  • develop a greater understanding of tīkanga (culture) me kawa (protocol).
  • develop greater confidence in speaking and using Te Reo Māori using correct pronunciation as part of their everyday language.

The current programme is designed to:

  • give students a greater awareness of how language works and helps to improve their understanding of their first language.
  • help students develop skills, attitudes and understandings that they can transfer to other languages.
  • make students more aware about diversity of society and how language and culture and inter-related.

Learning Languages
Language learning gives students other ways to express themselves, deepening understanding of human experiences as they learn about the impact of culture on people’s beliefs, values and ways of thinking.

During this time students will learn to:

  • Participate with understanding and confidence in situations where Te Reo and Tikanga Māori is present, linking language and cultural understandings into their lives.
  • Recite and sing a variety of karakia and waiata.
  • Greet, farewell and acknowledge people and respond to greetings and acknowledgements.
  • Communicate about number, using days of the week, months and dates.
  • Communicate about personal information such as name, parents and grand parents names, iwi, hapu, mountain and river, or home town and place of family origin. (Mihi)
  • Communicate about location.
  • Understand and use simple phrases.  Eg expressing how one feels, asking where something is, expressing what something is, or where something is (eg this is a table or the dog is under the table etc…)
  • Develop an understanding about migration of Māori and Spanish speaking people.
  • Use and respond to simple classroom commands.
  • Build vocabulary and write simple sentences in Te Reo.

In Māori we begin lessons with a karakia and waiata.
We use a variety of tools for learning including tradition rākau as a mean of developing language, dictionary and research skills to help build vocabulary, and geography skills to help identify place names throughout New Zealand and the world and also identify different regions specific to different iwi and computer skills for research and vocab development.

In Spanish and Japanese we focus on introductory phrases and acknowledgements, eg how are you, what is your name, where are you from,  what is your telephone number,  classroom commands and common phrases a person might need to know if they were to travel in that country.
During Spanish students use toon doo, a computer programme where students can create and write their own cartoons.  Students are also expected to create a flyer/ powerpoint about a Spanish speaking country of their choice.
During Japanese, students will research and create a brochure about a city or place in Japan.