How is Music important to our lives?
Year 7 Music Overview
- Demonstrate elements of music such as beat, rhythm, dynamics and timbre in a group composition.
- Show an appreciation of different styles and contexts found in a variety of music through active listening.
- Improvise a 4 bar melody on xylophone.
- Compose, notate and play a simple melody.
- Prepare and perform a musical piece in a chosen genre for Showcase.
Year 8 Music Overview
- Create sequenced patterns using Garageband that show contrast and structure.
- Review music elements and use these to prepare and rehearse a musical piece for performance.
- Identify and discuss influences and meaning found in popular songs.
- Use video and music technology to present a positive message.
- Use Kodaly methodology and Solfege to reinforce rhythm and melody.
Music across the school
- Our major school Production held every two years provides opportunities for musicians, singers, dancers and actors to develop and showcase their talent.
- Our concert band seeks to showcase and develop the musical talents of concert band instruments such as strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion.
- The school prepares both Year 7 and Year 8 rock bands for performances on our annual roadshow, music assemblies and Rockquest.
- Our weekly Music Assembly provides a fun way of sharing in music making, through school-wide singing and performances.
- Our Kapa Haka group provides students opportunities to sing and perform for school events and powhiri.